Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Dark. Ocean. Scared. TJ.

I like the ocean. I like to swim. I like to fish. But when my buddy Oswaldo asked me to go snorkeling and spearfishing with him at night... I was pretty anxious. I do not like to be in water if I can't see what is around me- and the extent of our light in the pitch black ocean was to be the handheld flashlights that he had covered in bicycle tubing. "Dominicans do it all the time", he says to me in Spanish. Maybe, I thought, but Dominicans also lean ladders on power lines.

We went out at 10pm, nearly got shot by the beach patrol before convincing them we weren't there to launch a boat to Puerto Rico, and then got into the water. About ten feet from the shore and I wasn't real sure where the shore even was. It was terrifying, exciting, and absolutely wonderful.

Right off the bat, we were surrounded by small little sparks in the water- tiny underwater lighting bugs, "pulgas", Oswaldo called them. It was calm, warm, and not nearly as scary as I had imagined once we got out into the reefs. We followed the underwater structure, shining our flashlights into the inky darkness to illuminate coral, sea fans, eels, pufferfish, jellyfish, small reef fish, spiny lobsters, and so much more.

We ended up shooting a reef fish whose name in spanish I can't pronounce, a spiny lobster, and (my favorite) two decent size reef squid. Oswaldo's mom made a sopa de mariscos (mixed seafood soup) the next day.

All in all - amazing experience. Not only to be in the water at night, scared I would be eaten at any moment by some overeager shark or barracuda, but also to be the predator, swimming and diving with a speargun like my favorite GI Joe figure from 1985. I'm hooked.


Watch out fishies - TJ's not just throwing lines and hooks anymore...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad and I were just talking about this........and we were hoping you wouldn't go!! Thank goodness we didn't know till after the fact! I am sooooo proud for you, and at the same time, terrified! How was the soup???

Your scaredy cat mom, loving U 4ever!

mom

Blake and Moriah said...

I loved your post... The most scared I have ever been was on a night (scuba) dive in Maui. I didn't let go of my buddy's arm for like 20 minutes. The ocean is beautiful at night under florescent lights. I will also tell you this... I was more scared on that dive than I was jumping off the 2nd cliff at 27 Waterfalls.

Anonymous said...

I may have to ban my son from reading your blog so he won't get any ideas. He is dying to try new, exciting stuff and his scaredy cat mom won't even let him jump off the cliff into the ocean...

LB

Anonymous said...

I like my jellyfish, squid, and eels behind glass, at the aquarium...
When we were on vacation 2 weeks ago in South Carolina, it was day time, and after spotting a jelly fish, I made my way back to the nice, safe beach as quickly as possible. Loved the story.

Anonymous said...

I won't even tell you about the Belizian buddies who I went out with all the time to the reef- all of them had scars from barracuda attacks - something about blood in the water...
and having shiny objects in your hand or on your body ... but nothing better to get the adrenalin going and a fun trip! Just keep looking out for the large eyes and flashes of silver at the edge of your light or then again maybe not - ignorance can be a good thing - you don't get as nervous!I would still do it again!

Blessings
Steve Sherman

LoriLoo310 said...

I once went scuba diving at night. It was one of the scariest, yet most thrilling moments of my life. Way to go!

Anonymous said...

DUDE i wanna go spearfishing with you when I come to visit this summer!!!