Thursday, February 08, 2007

The Most Wonderful Day of His Life

So I (Holly) went to the grocery store today. There's this Dominican businessman there - one of the suppliers for the store.

And he says to me, "¡Ay, que linda! Eres la virgen mas hermosa que he visto in mi vida. ¿Eres una virgen, no?"

Now, if you're like me, Spanish is not your first language, and you probably didn't catch every word. But the tone was obviously intended to be complimentary/come-hither. So I smile, "Mm-hmm", and continue looking for paper towels, sort of wondering, "Did this guy just ask me if I'm a virgin?!"

We cross paths again - there are only 4 aisles in McKenzie's - and he says in Spanish, "Oh, this is the most wonderful day of my life. I have seen the most beautiful virgin in the world."

I politely respond with my default, "Thank you. I'll tell my husband you said so."

Then he says, "You have two children."

"No, we don't have any kids."

"Well, tell you husband to give you some kids so people won't think you're a virgin!"


Just another day here in the Dominican, folks...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Why two children? So funny!

Melanie said...

HaHa! That's great! A nice compliment none the less, makes the day interesting. :)

Summer said...

AAAAhahahhahahaha!!!! I'm laughing for so many reasons, mostly because my Spanish lesson this week was about the Virgin of Guadalupe, so I was really proud that I could read your Spanish without any trouble.

Maybe you can be la patrona for the DR...

Elizabeth said...

Oh my word, Holly, that is both funny and a little scary.