Monday, February 12, 2007

Low-tech problem solving

When Holly and I were home for the holidays, one of the things that we enjoyed most (except all of you, of course) was taking a hot shower at the end or beginning of our day.

There is something about hot water that makes you feel cleaner, fresher, and generally, more human. While it is true that sometimes a cold shower is nice in the Dominican heat, we have been searching for an economical way to have the hot water option.

While we were home, our "outdoorsy" friend Blake Farmer mentioned that he once took a hot shower on a camping trip with a bag they put in the sun for a few hours. This sounded too simple, but interesting, so we headed to our local REI and found, for the low price of $20, this:



You only need a 70 degree day and sunshine to make the water hotter than is comfortable. It stays warm for hours, and holds 4 gallons, enough so we can both have showers.

After looking at solar-heated water tanks, dangerous, electricity-hogging Euro style heaters, and gas heaters that make your bathroom smell like eggs, this is by far the best solution for us - and it's really not much more than a bag with a nozzle that you lay out in the sun.

I wish I had been the one to think of the "bag full of water in the sun" water heater, but even still - I'm thankful for the man who did.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I had one I could have given you if I'd thought of it! I used it on all the Wilderness Treks I went on in High School. It really does work - I'm glad you've found a solution!

Elizabeth said...

I used one of those when I went to Haiti. I was so amazed that they actually worked so well. God bless.

Elizabeth said...

Oops, I said Haiti, but I meant Guatemala. Not that it really matters.