Friday, May 16, 2008

All is quiet, all is calm...

It is election day, and an eerie quiet has settled over the little town of Rio San Juan. You see, during the elections, the sale of alcohol is prohibited throughout the country. Without rum, there's no fun in loud music, and without loud music, you might actually have to talk to the girl you're sitting across the table with. So, for tonight, there is peace in our little apartment.

In honor of the elections- I have a story.

Several weeks ago, Alfredo and his crew of munchkins came to our gate and announced that one of the presidential candidates, Amable Aristy Castro, was coming to town. He bills himself as the "president of the poor", and is known for handing out rice and throwing $50 peso bills from his helicopter or Hummer on the campaign trail.

Alfredo and his buddies are ecstatic. "When Amable comes- anyone can ask him for anything they want- and he gives it to them. He's the president of the poor, you know!"

Jensi replies, nodding "I'm asking for a bike."

Alfredo looks stricken " No- I'M going to ask for a bike. Don't copy me, stupid."

NiƱo rises above the fray, saying "I don't need a bike. I just want money. Money for toys. Lots of them. Thats really all I need."

Not wishing to burst the thin veneer of their euphoria, I told them I was happy for them. They skipped off arguing about colors for their bicycles; perfectly at ease in the faith that Amable would come through.

As for me, I don't quite need a bicycle, but I wish for that kind of faith.
- TJ

1 comment:

Cody James Veteto said...

Deep post.
My response: "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours."
Mark 11:24
I'm excited and happy for Mickey! Bendiciones