Monday, October 29, 2007

the first Noel


TJ, here. Well, we are wet. As most of the US is in emergency drought mode, we are getting TONS of rain from Tropical Storm Noel. There are no reports of flooding yet, but there probably will be in Haiti, where the storm is projected to hit hardest.

Gus has decided to forget about the grass and taken to peeing off of our stairs to keep dry. Holly (ever hopeful) put out laundry to dry yesterday during a dry spell, only to find it soaked this morning. The Outreach Center has been a little more quiet, since Dominicans fear getting wet from the rain even more than they fear barking dogs (which is a lot). The weather is cool, which makes for great sleeping, but our bed is damp-ish again, just from the humidity in the air.

Last night's Kidchurch went well, and the Princesas did a really great drama about loving God more than things. Matthew 6's " For wherever your treasure is... there, too, will be your heart." I love how that sounds in Spanish.

Pray for the island- Haiti, especially, and that we all make it through the tail end of Hurricane Season with just some damp sheets as damage.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you pleeeeeeeze get a picture of Gus, doing his thing off of the balcony??? That has to be worth some amount of money! Gives a whole other spin to Romeo and Juliet.......hmmmmm.
ANyway, you are in our prayers and Hait, too....
We are gearing up for all the little goblins tomorrow night....have you shared that American tradition with your DR gang? Goblins dressed up running all over the neighborhoods begging for candy! Wonder what they would think of that! They would at least love the candy/sugar part!
LoveU4ever
mom

Anonymous said...

You know, TJ, I work in an office full of Dell products - a laptop, desktop, projector, etc. So it is not uncommon for me to be on the phone with Dell support, a nightmarishly long ordeal that is nonetheless necessary for warranty purposes. (I hope youre realizing by now that this has nothing to do with T.S. Noel, or Gus doing his thing off the balcony...)

At any rate, I called them this morning again. One thing about Dell is that they believe in outsourcing, and commonly refer you, the dumb rich white monolinguistic American, to either India or the Philippines. This morning I get the Philippines. I always ask them two questions:
1) Where are you from?
They always hesitate to say because I think Dell dont want them to, but they'll say like, oh outside the US, but then I probe them. And if they say the Philippines, I proceed to question no.2:
Do you know Stephen Speaks/T.J. McCloud?

I think you are about 3 for 3 now (havent really kept count). I no longer pass off your Philippino fame as a figment of your imagination longing for success. You have made a believer out of me. This morning, it went like this:

Me: ...So do you know T.J. McCloud?
Her: Who?
M: You know that group Stephen Speaks? They were really popular there.
H: Oh yeah, I know them. I dont know the names of the singers though.
M: Well, let me just tell you, its TJ McCloud, by gum. He was a friend of mine in college and I hear he's famous over there.
H: Yeah, they had this one song I really liked- like out of my league, I think.
M: Yeah that was it. He actually played that song in my front yard.

Shes kind of impressed, but pretty much acts like its not just that big of a deal, so then we go through like 10 minutes of diagnostics on the computer and I have forgotten about you. Out of the blue Im running a memory test and she says:
So your friend, did after he get famous, did he like get all arrogant about it and change his attitude and start being mean and stuff?

I said, Yeah, hes a total jerk now. He left all his friends back here in America b/c he thinks he's too good for us...

So it went. Im supposed to call her back tomorrow. I'll tell her you said hello.

Her name? T.J.

I think next time I call Dell, Im just gonna start telling them I'm T.J. McCloud. I mean, I might as well be. Thats gonna make their day.

-seth