Monday, September 24, 2007

Best of Spanish...

children's books!

I (Holly) have long loved Spanish. I was much inspired by my excellent high school teacher, Señora Johnson, who ONLY allowed Spanish in her classroom from day one. Notes in Spanish, vocab in Spanish, questions in Spanish - everything.

I'm also a nerd, and love communicating in another language. It opens different areas of your brain, and enriches the language you already speak. Especially if you have little ones, check this stuff out. This is the best of the best, and it's easy to pick up language when you're little.

I have also long loved children's books (all books, really), much inspired by my parents who read to me tirelessly. Pat the Bunny and The Little Engine that Could... Those were the days! Gracias, padres...

We live our lives in Spanish here, so I thought I'd share our favorite Spanish/English children's books, based on hours perusing the shelves of bookstores, a deep love for reading. Seriously, this stuff is the best of the best.

No Is No, Si Is Yes
by Ana Galan

It's perfect. Just get it.










Baby Einstein Wordsworth's Book of Words
by Julie Aigner-Clark
Though you may not be able to tell from the cover, this is an EXCELLENT Spanish/English dictionary. Great pictures, great choice of words. I love looking at it, and it honestly helps me reinforce basic vocab.





Isla by Arthur Dorros
A fabulous, magically whimsical tale about a little girl and her abuela who "fly" from New York to the Caribbean island where abuela grew up. Elisa Kleven's illustrations are stunning. Abuela, Dorros and Kleven's first collaboration, and the prequel to Isla, is also worth checking out.




I'm sure TJ will love this post so much, he'll be inspired to share his favorite Spanish musicians and songs. There is some REALLY good stuff out there, running the gamut from Sevillanas to reggaeton.

I must also say, that though when we moved here a year ago, I had about a thousand hours of Spanish language training on TJ, he is now completely fluent and is always teaching me new words. If you've ever heard the music he writes, you're probably not surprised to know that he is ASTOUNDING at acquiring language. ¡Bien hecho, querido!

4 comments:

Kayla said...

i actually own "no is no si is yes" and i LOVE it...miss you guys a ton and would like to talk to catch up on things and figure out this bank account business...love you

The Normans! said...

It looks like we may be making a trip to the library or bookstore! We actually have "Abuela" from my teaching days. It is definitely a good book, but I am looking forward to reading your other recommendations. :o) Much love!

LB said...

Studies have shown that is you are exposed to a foreign language - any foreign language - as a child, your ability to learn other languages as an adult are greatly increase - even if it is not the same language to which you were exposed. Something in your brain stays "open" to the possibility that there are other ways to communicate.

Tim

Anonymous said...

Hi. This is Ana Galán. I saw your blog by chance and I just wanted to thank you for your great compliments about my book. Did you know that there was a sequel called MIRA IS LOOK LIBRO IS BOOK? I'm working on creating my website anagalan.com, but if you need to email me, you can find me at ana@anagalan.com Thanks again. And congratulations on your great job. Ana