Wednesday, July 18, 2007

breakable

I can't imagine what it must be to raise a child.

I say that, because here we are, in the middle of the Atlantic ocean, in a place we don't understand, in a language we didn't understand a year ago, raising other people's children.

I guess we imagined something more sterile when we started. Open the doors, do some activities, teach lessons, make some relationships, and share the message and the love of Christ. Easy, right? Don't ask me why we thought any of the above actions would be anything other than consuming, exhilarating, and ultimately - heartbreaking.

What we find ourselves doing is raising kids. In the absence of any actual parental figure, I have finally realized that Jordan comes to my door everyday because I am where he feels he belongs. I am the closest thing in his and several others' lives to a loving, guiding, disciplining father. Did you know that in the last few months, the boys have started coming by to give Holly gifts? Earrings they bought at the five and dime, flowers stolen from the neighbor's yard, pictures drawn, limoncillos and mangos - all for Holly - not like it's some pre-teen crush, but more like when I used to leave a note or a poem on my mom's bed.

This is all to say - we have somewhat unwittingly worked ourselves into some powerful stuff. They have given us - almost pushed on us - the power to build them in a way not unlike my father and mother built me - with earned trust and graceful boundaries - taking opportunities to praise the good, while offering direction and consequences for the bad.

Well, in the last few days, one of our boys, Hansel, got his feelings hurt when we corrected him, and has since returned his "Pescadores" shirt and made it clear that he is not coming back. Now, we don't believe him - we know he is testing us, but we are still heartbroken, because we love him and know that we are doing what is best for him, even though it has cost us a relationship with him temporarily.

How do you parents do it?! How do you survive all the heartbreak of letting us learn from our mistakes? How do you decide when to let it go and when to take a stand? How do you decide between the two of you how best to handle us?

In any case, we are finding that while you might preach the logic and importance of the Gospel to an adult, we have to model the gospel of "God so Loved the World" in order to see it grow in these young men. The word "discipleship" has taken on new meaning for us as we realize that in order to mold the Gospel into these kids - we have to be aware of the power that gives us - power to build or break, and accepting that power gives them the ability to break our hearts every once in a while, too.

But - there again, all you parents already knew that.

This song is powerful, and is hard for us to listen to tonight. Breakable by Ingrid Michaelson.

8 comments:

Blake and Moriah said...

Hansel will come back. He will not be able to resist the desire to hang out with you guys and to be with his friends as well. I am feeling like that right now. I'm sitting at the breakfast table at Brady Mountain (drinking a HUGE glass of Dr. Pepper) waiting for you two to walk in the door. I know it won't happen this year, but maybe the year after next. I love you guys, and have been missing you like crazy this week... Just a little more that normal. -Mo

Anonymous said...

God is obviously doing some amazing things through you two. I had no idea you two were so deeply involved with each of the boys. You guys are such a blessing! I'm praying for your "parenting skills" and love over the boys.
Miss you guys,
love, Blair

Carissa said...

What a touching post!

God placed you there to be a "parent" to those children and fulfill a need that was not being met otherwise.

Keep up the wonderful work!

The Blankinships said...

no, parenting is not for the faint of heart. we find every day --like the two of you so-- that we don't know how to do it, and we just have to learn as we go. hang in there, sweet friends. we are praying for you, and for each of those precious boys. my mama always said that the only way she got through raising us was from the "callouses on her knees." The Lord is so good, and He will take care of hansel AND your broken hearts. love and miss yall, all 4 of us.

LoriLoo310 said...

Now that I am a mom, I often find myself thinking back to times that I was disobedient or rude to my parents ... and it frequently brings me to tears. Having a child has made me love and respect my parents more than ever.

By correcting Hansel, you are giving him a type of love he has probably never experienced and doesn't understand. This experience is happening for a reason for both sides.

You are doing amazing work and we can't wait to see you!

Melanie said...

What an amazing gift to be able to minister to those children they way that you do, every day. Reading your posts makes me think of the wonderful experiences I had teaching vacation Bible school in Mexico every summer, I used to to wish I could do that every day, and essentially, you are! What a blessing God has given you two.

Anonymous said...

You are finding out what many parents know....your children are your greatest joy, and at times, your greatest sorrow. Such a tangible reminder of what we do to our Heavenly Father......

He is always waiting, arms outstretched, just as you are for Hansel.

Still LovingU4ever,
mom

The Normans! said...

Hi, sweet friends! We are praying for you as you are raising these kids and continuing to make Jesus real to them. Know that God's love radiates through you!!! We love you!