Wednesday, June 06, 2007

El Morrito

We hiked up to El Morrito and back with the Park Plaza group. Can I get an amen from fellow Manna DR vets?!

We took no pictures, as pictures do not do this ascent justice. I don't know anything about hiking, but Brian Wallace says it would be rated more difficult than the most difficult hikes on the Appalachian Trail.

I do know that I clawed my way straight up the mountain for several miles/hours. I do know that men from the village of El Morrito came down the mountain just to carry our packs up, or to let us hitch a ride on a reluctant donkey. I do know that a group of Tulsa city-slickers made this hike with nary a complaint.

I know that Chris Worsham snores, and that I prefer to sleep with a pillow. I know that the people of this REMOTE village fell on the floor laughing about cowboys riding bulls in a Christian rodeo movie we watched.

I know that TJ is up for anything, and is a great partner to have on a muddy, steep road. I know that TJ speaks Spanish with the best of them, and people can't HELP but listen to what he has to say. And I know that those words don't come from him alone.

I know we're pouring a concrete floor tomorrow for a little person. Modesta is her name. Modesto, her husband, is not a little person, he's a very tall person. We're also painting houses in Barrio Acapulco: Look out, vecinos, we just might be headed your way, paint brush in hand.

Then we're headed to the beach, hallelujah!!! Sans RSJ rugrats, con dinner fantastico!

We have so many pictures and stories to share, we may have to commit to posting 2 blogs a day for the next 2 weeks. Keep checking back!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds amazing and i wish i could have been there! i know osvaldo has been looking forward to it though. can't wait to see pictures...love and miss you

The Normans! said...

We've always been interested in what TJ has to say. He has a great gift with people and communication!

It looks like you are having so many fun adventures! We look forward to seeing the pictures!

ChrisW said...

Holly,
The time we spent with you and TJ were amazing. You both are a wonderful blessing to all of us a Park Plaza. We are coming back! The date and type of group is yet to be determined. I will do everything I can to stop snoring! It the least I can do with what you and TJ have done for us.
We Love You Both,
Chris