Thursday, March 01, 2007

Happy Birthday, Grandma!



Today is my grandma's 83rd birthday... And for the first time that I can remember, I was able to celebrate with her on her special day.

And a special day it was. Full of pink roses, friends, family & well-wishes. I am so proud to have this faithful daughter of God as my grandmother. She has quietly served & changed so many lives, and I was reminded of that many times over today. I love learning more about my grandma's life, who she is as a person. Most of my life I've known her only as my doting grandma, who absolutely adores her grandchildren and is everything that a grandma should ever be.

I am beyond grateful to the Park Plaza church, who made it possible for me to be here today. And I'm so thankful for my sweet husband, who's fending for himself in the Dominican for the next two weeks so I can spend this time with my family.

Last week we found out that my grandma is in kidney failure, and it isn't likely she'll get better. But I don't know how to do this - I've never lost anyone close to me. So I have to hope and pray that she will get better, that we'll have more time together.

No matter what, I am thankful for this day. Surely the most beautiful, sunny February 28th southern Kansas has ever seen, when my family got together to celebrate the birth of our grandmother, mother, wife & friend, Doris Rose Lewis. Today is enough, but I'm reminded to treasure tomorrows even more.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Gma Lewis!!!
I wish I could be there to give you a big hug, and Gus wishes that he could be there to watch for cake that someone drops!
I hate that I am missing the food,family, and fun, but I have full faith that Holly can pick up my slack with the cinnamon rolls, and Bret with the mashed potatoes.
Felicidades!!
from your favorite Grandson-in-law

Anonymous said...

We are so glad that you were able to come home and be with your Grandmother. What a special birthday! Thinking of you...The Essners