Sunday, November 19, 2006

Dominican lawnmower



Yes, that is a machete in his hand. Yes he is approximately seventy-five years old. Yes, he could probably beat me up. To all my old landscaping bosses: Lynn, Nick, Rodrigo, Steve, Jon, and Randall- thank you for not handing me a machete to cut grass with. (well, except for Rodrigo... that experience didn't go over so well.)



These guys are "fixing" the street in front of our apartment. First- they make a fire in the empty lot across the street to heat up the tar- then they fill the holes in the street with sand and rock (a kind of clay called "caliche", here), then they cover the hole with the hot tar. (along with whatever else they come across). Somehow- I ended up with tar on the seat of my cargo pants. You can imagine how that looks when Im walking around.

TJ

2 comments:

Summer said...

Oh my gosh - for a minute I thought that first picture WAS my dad. I guess landscapers have an international uniform: t-shirt, brownish hat, tool in hand. The machete part is new though. I think a machete might be the only lawn-tool my dad doesn't have. Hmmm...

Unknown said...

TJ and Holly...God bless you for all you are doing! You are on so many prayer lists across the country, but I just wanted you to know that you are also prayed over by Roy and myself, and also by members of the Richland Hills Church of Christ Children's Ministry. I just love working in this ministry and know of it's importance...but I am in awe of you and your faith to set off to a foreign country to serve the little ones, those ones that Christ called us to be like.
Jack is absolutely your biggest fan...really! He loves the CD and sings the songs so sweetly (I'm not biased at all!). We are planning to purchase several copies to use in our ministry and are excited to introduce everyone to someone our family has loved for so long!
Holly - happy belated birthday!
Remember you are in our prayers and in our hearts, especially during this holiday season!
(After the holidays, I would love to talk to you about how our kids could get involved in perhaps sending packages to you and the children there, and corresponding with you also!)
Be blessed each day!
Hugs - Mindy