Thursday, October 19, 2006

A Joyful Noise

The Dominican Republic is the loudest country in the world. No one has mufflers that work, everyone blares music - probably trying to compensate for their lack of muffler. The discos are all open-air, and play music so loud that Eddie Van Halen would have to wear ear-plugs. Dominicans interact with each other on a "I can talk with more decibels than you" basis, and at sunset, along with the beauty of the sun slipping into the sea, comes the sweet music of generators being fired up all over town. Everyone says that we will get used to this, that it will become background noise. I say that might happen, but only because my hearing will have been damaged.

A group of Pentecostals about ten minutes into the mountains have asked our ministry to teach bible classes every Wednesday night, so I went with Brian and Wacky (Joaquin) to visit and lead a few songs. We get there and these sweet, humble people start up the generator and proceed to blast my eyebrows off with the loudest worship I have ever heard. A woman stands up front and begins to sing an untelligible song with an unintelligible beat, acapella, clapping her hands and spinning every few minutes. I figured - well, what she lacks in talent, she makes up for in style. Then, the preacher gets behind the drumset and accompanies her with a strong merengue beat. Voice, drums and tambourines all combine for an ear shattering crecendo. When the "music" was over, the preacher started to scream, I mean, SCREAM into the microphone all the different ways to say hallelujah and praise the Lord. The congregation, in turn, would then scream "Amain" back at him.

Then he asks me to lead some songs. At this point I wondered if I could even find a pitch, my ears hurt so badly. Feeling quite out of my element, I stood up and led "In Momenentos Asi", and "Amazing Grace" in the loudest voice I could muster.

About an hour into the teaching (it was a four hour bible study), I realized that I was sitting on the most uncomfortable pew on earth. It was hand made, and was about six inches wide. I looked around and realized it was the only one like it in the building. All the others were wide and comfy. I sat there, perched with my tingling backside, and thought about moving to the pew in front of me. But I just knew that these people would think it hilarious that the big white American needed more room for his big, fat, white butt. I stayed where I was.

All the noise and pews aside... I'm ashamed to have thought at one point, "How can all this horrible racket be pleasing to God?" But I wonder that my own faith, as teetering, tottering, creaky and untested as it is, must make that kind of racket to the ears of God. Is also an offering unworthy, yet gladly accepted by our Father.

3 comments:

Summer said...

This post really touched me, and no, not because I'm reading it in the early morning hours. There's something so precious to me about authenticity in faith, and I felt that in your writing: both in your description and your reaction. Bless you! And thank you for letting me live a meaningful life, however vicariously, through your blog.

The Blankinships said...

I just love reading about your world there. I feel so humbled, and have some much-needed perspective on my day now. We miss you guys so much, and are so proud to be your friends. We continue to pray for you...please do the same for us!!!

Anonymous said...

It is really good to read your blog and see that you guys are settling well. At this point in the semester I would much rather be living in that apartment again with water problems, termites, and music blaring from the laguna bars until the wee hours of the night. I'll be praying for you guys and the kids.