Thursday, April 03, 2008

I'm Lovin' It

I woke up this morning to the smell of bacon. Don't get me wrong, no one was actually cooking bacon, but as I made the slow transition between dreaming and waking, I could just taste the greasy goodness of a Bacon, Egg and Cheese biscuit from McDonald's.

The torture of having American TV channels is the deluge of delicious advertising for Olive Garden, Chili's, Papa John's, etc. In Rio San Juan, we have two restaurants - and they both serve rice, beans, and chicken.

There is a place that makes pizza. They don't use tomato sauce. I tried to teach the cook how to put the sauce on the crust under the cheese... but in the end, she smiled, agreed and then gave me exactly what I didn't want.

C'est la vie, no?

3 comments:

Dad/GP said...

Yes, but it is "quiet" at the pizza place. And, after having not had Pizza Hut's (Papa John's?!) for quite a while, that pizza was actually pretty good.

In a parallel thought, I remember getting a bit tired of another island's food and driving over an hour just for Mexican food - although they did call one of the items a tack-o. (Don't remember Bryson commenting about that, but he should have.)

Tell you what, next fall let's see if we can get some Malnotti's to make up for your deprivation. OK?

Anonymous said...

You'll have a lot to look forward to eating when you get home. Miss you guys. cd

LoriLoo310 said...

I think we might be able to compare the blandness of Utah food to that of DR food. We aren't as deprived as you, but seriously, no flavor.