Saturday, March 22, 2008

Shane Ruiz

On Wednesday afternoon, Shane Ruiz, a 19 year old Freed-Hardeman student, drowned at a beach near us. He was here on a Spring Break campaign with fellow Sigma Rho club members. Our teammates, Cory and Laura Beth Lamb, are former Sigma Rho members, and were so excited to have their friends experience their ministry at the Children's Home.

Although we spent little time with Shane, and had left the beach before the accident, we grieve for his family, friends; and also for Cory and Laura Beth, Brian and Tammie. This is the first time in over a decade of hosting mission groups that anything like this has happened, and it weighs heavily on all of us. The circumstances of his death are so strange and rare, it is still difficult to believe that it occurred.

The search and recovery is ongoing. The US Embassy, US Coast Guard, Dominican Red Cross, Civil Defense, and local community have been kind and helpful.

Holly and I are mainly trying to help with the search effort and support our teammates at this point, as they deal with shock and grief. The Ruiz family is also here, staying with the Wallaces.

Tomorrow, we will go back out with the local fishermen who are graciously helping search. Hopefully the waters will be calm enough for a dive team.

Please pray continually for the Ruiz family, the Freed Hardeman community, our team, and, possibly most of all, the successful recovery of Shane's body.

For more information on Shane and his life, read this article from today's Jackson Sun.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a friend of Shane's relative, Carl Martin-Ruiz and share your sad loss, especially of such a young life shortened dedicated to a good service for humanity.

Grief is a teacher in compassion like none other I have ever experienced, having lost my own father last month. Words seem insufficient, but yet all that we have to offer sincere sympathy and sorrow for your community.

Respectfully,
Melinda G. Waddill
Northern Virginia Area
United States
berrybooop@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear that this happened. You both will be in our prayers as you deal with this tragedy that happened so close to home for you and those that you love and work with.

jocelyn said...

I'm so sorry! I cannot imagine what you all must be going through. We will certainly pray for this whole situation, especially for the Ruiz family.

Anonymous said...

My name is Owen Reich, and I knew Shane from a Gospel Meeting we had here in Wyoming. I am only a year older than him, so the loss of a friend so young is truly a grieving experience. Unfortunately, I had fallen out of contact with Shane over the past couple of years, something I regret. I will miss you, Shane, and pray for you, Kevin, and you also, Joe, as well as all of the Ruiz family. I do not want to be so presumptuous as to question God's motive, so I will assume that He knows exactly what he is doing. I can only hope to attain the same level of faith, compassion, hummility, and love that you lived your life with and constantly showed others. I know one day we will all see each other again, and it will be in His presence.

Your friend,
Owen Reich
North Central Wyoming