Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Church mouse



Over the last few days, a battle of wits has been played out here in RSJ.

Jerry, the mouse/rat has been pilfering our crackers, candies and treats that we keep for the kids in the Outreach Center.

I bought a trap. I set it up. Cheese, peanut butter, potato, hamburger, salami... he
has eaten it all, sometimes setting off the trap, sometimes not. Never could I beat the little guy at his own game. I just kept giving him the buffet of a lifetime.

Well, I grew fond of Jerry- admired him, actually. So when I finally heard the snap of the trap and found him looking up at me with a "why me?" expression... I was sad. I even said a little prayer for him as I finished him off with a stick.

But now I have to catch his girlfriend.

I said I was sad, but not sad enough to want rat babies everywhere.

4 comments:

Blake and Moriah said...

Holly, did you write this blog? I can't imagine you "finishing off" anything with a stick. That sounds like a job for TJ.

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious...
Blair

LB said...

When Lindsey was smaller (probably about 8ish) we had a mouse. Our cat would chase the mice and play with him but never kill him. One evening when they were with the babysitter, the cat and mouse were going at it in the kitchen. The game was to not let the mouse out of the kitchen. Both kids were hungry, but the sitter wasn't about to confront the kitchen mouse to cook. Next thing you know Lindsey calmly went out to the garage and returned with a small piece of 2X4. WHACK! the mouse was history. She then exclaimed to the sitter, "you can make me dinner now."

Anonymous said...

"Finish him off, FINISH HIM OFF".......NO! Please don't put those kind of details in your blog. When you find his girlfriend, if she hasn't died from a broken heart, please catch her gently and take her to a better part of the island, where she can live out her life quietly, with some sense of dignity left!

Sniff, sniff
Still loveU4ever,
mom