Monday, July 09, 2007

Mrs. Kinnamon would not be proud...

OK, seriously... who knew that Four Square (you know, the playground game with a ball and four... well, squares) has something like twenty different names, professional leagues, and many, many international differentiations?

I mean, c'mon... it's no Dodgeball...


I wanted to teach the boys Four Square- since my dad brought a "rad" PowerRangers bouncyball with him when he and Mom came to visit. The only problem was... I have forgotten how to play! I know it has something to do with bouncing the ball and advancing in the squares, but as I sat there today, with my fingers on that red, textured, rubber ball- feeling like it would surely come back to me at any moment... I was ashamed. No one who has played as much Four Square as I did should have to look at a diagram like the one below to remember how to play.


My stern-faced, short-haired, fourth-grade gym teacher- Mrs. Kinnamon- would not be proud.

I decided to humble myself, and instead of making up the rules as I tried to teach the boys, I put it off and looked it up online.

The only problem is which version do I pick?

(according to Wikipedia) * Australia: Hand Tennis, Handball, Downball, Tenison 8, Kingpin * New Zealand: Handball, 4 Square, 6 Square or 8 Square * USA: Boxball or Handball (FL, NY) Square Ball (MA), Four Square (WA, NC, NJ, CA), Blockball (MD) * Canada: 4 Square (Coquitlam, BC), Champ, Smash (QC), King's Court (ON)

Then I find out that in most versions of American Four Square- the person in the winner's square makes up some of the rules as you play.

I'm not sure I trust Henri and Joel with that kind of power...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you couldn't remember the rules, either! I just made them up as I went along when we were there, and it didn't go very well!

Im glad the boys are still enjoying the ball....I wish we were there to play with them.....

Drink plenty of fluids....I hear you have been sick.Dehydration is dangerous! Sorry, once a mom, always a mom!

LoveU4ever!
mom

Anonymous said...

I would just like to say, that I have often thought about Four Square, which is what any reasonable person would call it, but I couldn't remember the rules either.
It was my playground routine, and as I recall, I was pretty dang good, too!
Maybe I should look into that professional league!

Anonymous said...

wow, mrs. kinnamon. there's a name i haven't heard in a while. i got some pretty wicked skinned knees on that perry elementary school playground. God bless and best of luck with the great work you're doing in the DR.

--casey tripp