Thursday, October 26, 2006

Refuge

We found a new way to attract kids to us.

Rain.

Drenching, soaking, unstoppable downpours that signal the beginning of the rainy season have been herding children into the reach of our influence today. They run in, looking for a place to be dry. A port in the storm.

Between the games, the guitar lessons, the Bible stories and the good old fashioned conversation, we know that God is offering a much better refuge to his children. In a world that will soak you with rain until you drown, our call - all of us - is to be one of the safe places - a part of the cleft in the Rock. These kids have lots of things to run from. We just hope they run to the right place.

We are all looking for a refuge - even those of us who know the shelter of the Lord feel soaked and sodden at times. Today, watching the streets turn to rivers of rain, I found myself grateful to have somewhere - and someone - to run to.

2 comments:

josh and darci said...

You've touched me this morning. I can picture the two of you reaching out to these hurting children. We miss you, but know that you are doing God's work in that place!

LoriLoo310 said...

TJ,
People tell me that I look like Marcia Cross ALL THE TIME (though truthfully I don't see it). I even wrote a post about it on my blog about a year ago: http://imthemanager.blogspot.com/2005/12/who-do-i-look-like.html

My evil sister even says I act like her character on Desperate Housewives ... what a cruel thing to say!