Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Thanks, God and Moriah

About 11am this morning, Holly and I made a discovery. Amid the boxes, clutter, leftover garage sale junk, and items waiting to be packed, we found ourselves unable to put our hands on our passports.
I know. You would think that people who have just been overseas and are gearing up to go to two different locations overseas would keep a firm grip on that little blue stamp book, but somehow- in the sea of stuff that is our life right now, we misplaced the folder containing not only our passports, but also our birth certificates, marriage licence, car title, and any other important document that is impossible to replace in a week.
We searched, methodically and calm at first, then harried and frantic. Is it under the couch? the attic? is it in the closet? did we pack it in a box? All of these questions and more we asked ourselves many, many times.
At the point where Holly lost hope and I was ready to drive to whatever bureaucratic office I needed to to get this straightened out- we prayed. "God- we need this folder. You know we do, and we cant find it. You know where it is. We do not. We need you to make us remember where it is, or make it appear in our laps right now. Either will work. Forgive us for not holding on to important things. Amen."
Bingo. After some gutwrenching twists and turns, Moriah Farmer remembers that she and Holly rode in Blakes old jeep for one day, two weeks ago. In the absolute last place we would have looked or remembered, there it is.
God is good to us, even though we cant keep up with our passports. Amazing. I couldnt help but think of the parable of the woman who lost the coin and turned her whole house upside down to find it. Thank you Lord, for searching like that for us, when we were lost.
We celebrated with a cookies and cream milkshake from Chick-fil-A.
So- the moral of the story is that we are still going to the Dominican Republic. We have our passports because God wants us there and hes not going to let our forgetfulness stand in the way. We should have known that.
Here's a picture of our living room after the Great Passport Search of '06:

7 comments:

Kate said...

TJ and Holly,
I'm so excited for you as you allow God to lead and use you in the Dominican. You will be such a great blessing to those kids! I look forward to reading about your experiences, and I'll be praying for you!

Elizabeth said...

God is so faithful! God bless you guys...we will miss you!

C, E, C and A

LoriLoo310 said...

That happened to my mom when we lived in South America. She offered me $200 if I could find her passport. I found it and made myself an easy $200. It was in her coat pocket.

Summer said...

See, this is proof that miracles happen.

I know a couple that couldn't go on their honeymoon because the groom misplaced their passports and birth certificates (similar moving out madness). He realized this the night before the wedding and nearly had a nervous breakdown! We all felt so bad for them! Never found the documents, but lived happily ever after.

Unknown said...

i was about to drive to colorado for her birth cert. God is good, yall!
Thanks for the support

Josh said...

I love you guys...

That's all. I was thinking about you today, and what an impact you have already had on so many - God is amassing the jewels for your crowns. He is overjoyed by your servant hearts.
Thank you for answering His call....

we'll visit!
-josh & layne

Unknown said...

i dont want jewels in my crown- only in my my teef !!!